Ontario Launching More Than 20 Workplace Blitzes
Ontario Launching More Than 20 Workplace Blitzes to Enhance Workplace Safety
Province Committed to Protecting Vulnerable Workers
April 12, 2016 9:40 A.M.
Ministry of Labour
Ontario will help protect workers on the job by launching more than 20 targeted blitzes at workplaces across the province over the next year.
From May 2, 2016 to March 31, 2017, Ministry of Labour inspectors will visit workplaces such as food services, retail stores, construction sites and mines to investigate potential violations of Ontario's employment standards and occupational health and safety laws. In particular, sectors with vulnerable workers and a history of violations will be targeted.
To help ensure workers are also receiving what they are owed, employment standards officers will check for violations that could affect the pay, overtime and work hours of:
* temporary foreign workers
* young workers and
* employees of repeat violators
These initiatives are part of the government's commitment to protecting workers and ensuring they are safe and treated fairly at Ontario workplaces.
* Violations could include falls hazards, electrical hazards, and chemical handling.
* Blitzes are part of Ontario’s enforcement strategy to increase compliance with theEmployment Standards Act, 2000, Occupational Health and Safety Act and their regulations.
* Since 2005, more than $144 million in wages and other money owed to employees has been recovered through inspections, claims and collections.
* Since 2008, Ministry of Labour occupational health and safety inspectors have conducted more than 620,000 field visits, and 79 provincial inspection blitzes.
* Inspectors have issued more than one million compliance orders for safety issues across all sectors in Ontario since June 2008.
* Blitz schedule for 2016 – 2017
* Ontario’s 2016-2017 occupational health and safety blitzes
* Workplace safety plans for each sector
* Ontario’s 2016-2017 employment standards blitzes
“Ontario has one of the best safety records in Canada, and we should all be proud. Every worker has the right to work in a healthy, safe and fair workplace. Targeted blitz programs like these increase awareness, compliance and overall safety among workers and employers throughout the province. Our goal at the Ministry of Labour is to ensure that workers in Ontario are treated fairly by their employers and return home safely at the end of the day.”
Minister of Labour
* Janet Deline
* Craig MacBride
by Ministry of Labour on 12th , February 2018
by Ministry of Labour on 2nd , February 2018
by Ministry of Labour on 18th , January 2018
by Ministry of Labour on 11th , January 2018
by Ministry of Labour on 16th , December 2017
by Ministry of Labour on 7th , December 2017
by Ministry of Labour on 30th , November 2017
by Ministry of Labour on 28th , November 2017
by Ministry of Labour on 24th , November 2017
by Ministry of Labour on 13th , November 2017